24.9.13

Difficulties in learning English

Thanks to Taylor's College which made me a better man. At least I'm turning better in English, not to say I'm being very very good in it, but still better than what I was in secondary school. Everyone has different upbringing. I used to communicate in Mandarin with parents and siblings. Then, I had learned Cantonese in secondary school for 5 years. Though my Cantonese is not so good but still can pass. Hahaha. 


In Malaysia, there are 3 main languages - Malay, Mandarin and English. As I am from non-English speaking background, there are problems when I come to the pronunciation. Like sometimes I will make mistake in the pronunciation of the English words. I will read the words in Malay pronunciation.


 It's getting difficult when I attended college. Taylor's College has many English-speaking students. Many of them are pretty good in English. Mostly are from KL. They used to speak English since they were born. It's very normal right? Just like I am good in Mandarin. Sometimes, it's not I don't want to speak. It's just I don't know how to express my feeling or words in English in the communication. 


In secondary school, grammar is an annoying thing for me. I hate to learn it. But then, thinking about it now, I am very regret I didn't learn it well. It's actually very very important. I had took part in some English course while waiting for the result of SPM to be announced. The course contains speaking for students. Well. I have said I am not good in English. I tend to read the words wrongly then the teacher began to laugh at me. It's not that kind of friendly smile but tease. Like made fun of my pronunciation. He kept on repeat the correct pronunciation in a teasing way but yet I got it wrong. The other students started to look at me like I am a alien. This is what I hate the most. If I am good in pronunciation, why do I need to attend lessons? Teacher would not know this kind of tease and laugh somehow hurt the student. 


I find it comfortable when I encounter with people who speak Mandarin. For me, in English, I hardly find the feeling, hardly laugh when some people is talking something funny to me. Like it's not funny at all.


For English novels, people can read them very quick. But for me, it takes time. I need to read for few times. First time, just read through it. Secondly, check for the meaning of words through dictionary. Then, read again. It seriously takes time. It's different as to compare when reading mandarin novels. I got what the writer wants to express even I browse through it. 



 But still English is very important. Starts learning it before it's too late. You may face some obstacles in the process of learning but I am sure you will enjoy your success later. No pain no gain right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment